Student writing assignment
Oh no! As Fortunato, you find yourself being walled up in a crypt after being promised a Cask of Amontillado. What is going through your mind as the bricks are stacked higher and higher? Rewrite the ending to express the final thoughts of Fortunato as the last bricks are set in the wall.
This assignment must be typed in Times New Roman twelve point font with the correct heading. 1 page in length.
Homework! Due Friday!
Answer these questions thoroughly on loose paper. Please write the question and then answer.
1.How do the author’s use of the literary elements contribute to the text’s meaning? (Ex. Setting Characterization, plot, theme, point of view etc.)
2. Which character traits make Fortunando an easy target for Montressor?
3. How does imagery in the setting effect the text? How does the author use imagery to convey the meaning of the text?
4. Why do you think Poe chose to bring together in this story the dreariness of the catacombs and the festival atmosphere of the carnival?
5.Can you identify one or more themes in “The Cask of Amontillado”? In other words, can you identify any general comments about life and the human condition that Poe is suggesting through the specifics of this story?
6. Explain how Montressor’s family motto is related to the story? To the actions of Montressor?
7. In your opinion, did Montresor have to kill Fortunato? Is their any other way Montresor could have handled this situation? Explain
If you have any questions please email me.
Remember to bring your short story materials to class tomorrow. We will be starting the outline.